Celebrating our Girls
Due to the unfortunate year we have experienced with the pandemic our awards ceremonies have had to be considerably downsized. Please take note of the following:
- Each class will have their own “class party” on:
- 10 December 2020 for Group A
- 11 December 2020 for Group B
- Certificates will be presented by the class teacher during the class party. They will then be collected from the girls and sent home in their report envelopes.
- No academic awards will be given, only character trait certificates.
- No snacks for sharing to be brought to the class parties. Learners are to bring their own treats to school on class party days.
- Fun/craft activities will be planned for class party days.
- A small farewell gift will be presented to each child by their class teacher, so parents are encouraged to ensure that their children are present to receive this.
Senior and Intermediate Phase
- Gr 6 and 7 will be awarded Academic Excellence at 85%. No academic excellence awards for Gr 4 and 5.
- Certificates will be given to each child for academic and social achievements. This will be A4 in size and sent home in the report envelope on 15 December 2020.
- No Awards Celebrations for Gr 4-6.
- Gr 7’s will be awarded Academic Trophies as well as the Margeret Dick Award at an Awards Celebration to be held in the hall on Friday 11 December 2020. Further details will be provided closer to the time. A list of the awards and their citations can be found HERE.
- In order to ensure social distancing, only Gr 7 Learners and Staff will be permitted to attend the Celebrations in person.
- We plan to arrange for parents to be able to log into a live streaming of the Gr 7 Celebrations. This will be confirmed at a later date.
We are aware that these arrangements are far from ideal but we request that parents are understanding and patient. This is the best alternative for Greenfield and we are doing our very best to salvage as much of the year’s events as we can. Please also understand that nothing is ever cast in stone during these times and we may very well be forced to change arrangements. Parents will be immediately informed if this is the case.
The annual celebration is an opportunity for us to celebrate the efforts made and achievements gained by our girls during the current academic year. It is an opportunity for us to formally congratulate the girls for performing well in a whole variety of different areas. Our annual celebration ceremonies are held at the end of each year.
It must be clearly understood by learners, parents and teachers that the awarding of any award is not merely a reward for an activity well performed, but rather a recognition of overall excellence of achievement, behaviour and loyalty towards the school.
Decisions regarding awards are considered final and discussions related to selections will not be entered into once awarded.
Grade R to 3 Celebration Awards
During a special occasion, we celebrate all our Foundation Phase girls. Each of our girls receive a certificate that mentions an academic achievement, sporting achievement, personal growth area or a combination of the three. Parents are welcome to join us in celebrating these achievements.
Grade 4 to 6 Celebration Awards
During this special occasion, our Intermediate Phase girls are celebrated for their achievements. Each girl receives a certificate that mentions an academic achievement, sporting achievement, personal growth area or a combination of the three. Additional certificates are awarded to children who achieve Academic Excellence and/or Colours for extramural activities (i.e. music, dance, art, drama and/or sport). Criteria for Colours can be found here.
Grade 7 Celebration & Special Awards
The Grade 7 girls, also referred to as the Senior Phase at Greenfield, has a celebration ceremony of their own. This is an auspicious occasion as it is the girls’ final year at Greenfield after having passed through the hands of most of the staff at the school. Staff members have played significant roles in these young people’s lives and know them in their own special way. Every Grade 7 girl will receive at least one certificate that mentions an academic achievement, sporting achievement, personal growth area or a combination of the three. Additional certificates are awarded to children who achieve Academic Excellence and/or Colours for extramural activities (i.e. music, dance, art, drama and/or sport). Criteria for Colours can be found here.
Then, a very special set of awards are dedicated to the Grade 7 girls. These awards consist either of a trophy, certificate or both. Some of these i.e. subject awards, are based purely on results while others such as those of character are nominated and carefully considered by all staff members in an awards meeting chaired by the principal. Nominees are discussed in-depth and candidates are chosen through a democratic process. If there are no suitable candidates for a prize, that prize will not be awarded. Where there is an impasse or conflict of opinion, the Principal will have the deciding vote. Special Awards Citations can be found here.